More Good Economic News On Friday
Published Friday, November 2, 2018 at: 7:00 AM EDT
New jobs surged in October and wages rose by the largest year-over-year amount in nearly a decade.
Here's a roundup up of the financial news you need to know.
Real disposable income — personal income after taxes, adjusted for inflation and divided by the number of people in U.S. — in the 12 months ended October 31, grew 2.8%. In the five-year economic boom preceding The Great Recession, real personal disposable personal income grew by 2.2%. In the last 12 months, RDPI grew 30% faster than in the last expansion.
Car sales shifted into high gear in October. After car sales in September spiked to 17.9 million, the expectation was that car sales would cool in October. Nope! They went to 18 million.
September housing starts came in at 1.2 million, well below the Council of Economic Advisers February 2018 projection in the "Economic Report of the President."
The Standard & Poor's 500 closed on Friday at 2723.06, just 7% off its all-time high, and the double-digit market correction of October halted in the last week. The correction could resume; no one can predict the next market turn, and past performance does not guarantee your future results. Meanwhile, the economy remains strong and shows no sign of falling into a recession and turning the October's correction into a bear market drop.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist based on data compiled and analyzed by independent economist, Fritz Meyer. While these are sources we believe to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial or tax advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation. Tax laws are subject to change. Indices are unmanaged and not available for direct investment. Investments with higher return potential carry greater risk for loss. Past performance is not an indicator of your future results.
- Uncle Sam Delivers A Strong Economy
- A Dramatic Pause, As Expansion Breaks Longevity Record
- The Explosion In Real Retail Sales You Never Hear About
- Amid Signs Of Weakness, Fed Reverses Course; Stocks Rally
- Three Stories Affecting Your Wealth This Week
- Buried In The Fed's Financial Stability Report, A Potential Risk To Investors
- Forget Everything You Know About Inflation
- China Trade War Sparks Fear But Not Stock Losses
- Surprisingly Good Productivity, Jobs, Inflation And Trade News
- Stocks Break Record High On Economic Surprises
- U.S. Leading Indicators, Retail Sales, And Atlanta Fed Forecast Signal Strength
- S&P 500 Closes Near Record High Amid Growing Ebullience
- An Early Indication The Economy Is Stronger Than Expected
- A Spectacular Quarter For U.S. Stocks Just Ended
- Real Economy Strengthens, Yield Curve Inverts And Mueller Report Drops
- Despite Crises, Economic Fundamentals Are Strong
- How Misperceptions Spread And Cause Confusion On Money Matters
- Real Spending Power Grew Twice The Rate Of The Last Expansion
- Global Growth Forecast Slows, But U.S. Outlook Remains Stable
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Long-Term Investor?
- Five Observations About The CBO's New Long-Term Debt Forecast
- Fed Apology, Strong Job Growth Bolster Stocks
- Despite Grim Headlines, Economic Growth Is Intact
- Despite December Turbulence, Economy And Business Optimism Were Strong
Watch The Video
Reason Number 8 Clients Trust Financial Advice From Our Firm