More Good Economic News On Friday
Published Friday, November 2, 2018 at: 7:00 AM EDT
New jobs surged in October and wages rose by the largest year-over-year amount in nearly a decade.
Here's a roundup up of the financial news you need to know.
Real disposable income — personal income after taxes, adjusted for inflation and divided by the number of people in U.S. — in the 12 months ended October 31, grew 2.8%. In the five-year economic boom preceding The Great Recession, real personal disposable personal income grew by 2.2%. In the last 12 months, RDPI grew 30% faster than in the last expansion.
Car sales shifted into high gear in October. After car sales in September spiked to 17.9 million, the expectation was that car sales would cool in October. Nope! They went to 18 million.
September housing starts came in at 1.2 million, well below the Council of Economic Advisers February 2018 projection in the "Economic Report of the President."
The Standard & Poor's 500 closed on Friday at 2723.06, just 7% off its all-time high, and the double-digit market correction of October halted in the last week. The correction could resume; no one can predict the next market turn, and past performance does not guarantee your future results. Meanwhile, the economy remains strong and shows no sign of falling into a recession and turning the October's correction into a bear market drop.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist based on data compiled and analyzed by independent economist, Fritz Meyer. While these are sources we believe to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial or tax advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation. Tax laws are subject to change. Indices are unmanaged and not available for direct investment. Investments with higher return potential carry greater risk for loss. Past performance is not an indicator of your future results.
- October Inflation Rate Slows, Spending And Income Cool, Making Further Rate Hikes Unlikely
- A Time Of Money Illusion
- Good News On Inflation Boosts Stocks For Third Straight Week
- The Terrible Truth About Investing
- The Goldilocks Economy Drove Stocks Higher This Past Week
- The Outlook For Investors
- More Economic Strength Sent Stocks Lower All Week
- Four Observations About This Week’s Financial News
- Not Too Hot Or Too Cold, This Week’s Economic Data Is Just Right
- S&P 500 Index Lost 2.4% In 3Q2023; Latest Inflation And Economic News
- Where The Boom No One Expected Gets Its Legs
- Latest On Inflation, Consumer & Business-Owner Optimism
- Slower Growth But Economic Outlook Remains Bright
- Labor Market And Inflation Drove Stocks Higher
- Costlier Homes Expected To Appreciate 4% Annually For The Next Five Years
- Leading Economic Index Falls For 16th Straight Month
- Tax-Sensitive Investment Planning In 2023
- A Healthy Recipe For Growth Is Simmering
- Good News About The U.S. Economy
- The New Bull Market Has Broadened
- An Economy Goldilocks Would Definitely Live With
- Monthly Pace Of New-Job Creation Slowed In June, Which Is Good News
- Standard & Poor's 500 Gained 9.9% In Q2 2023
- This Week’s News For Investors